Recommended filters and memory card

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I'm new to this site and just purchased my first DSLR camera (Nikon D3100). My grandpa recommended that I look into getting filters and new memory cards. I currently have three 4GB SD memory cards with a speed class 4 rating. I was told I should get a memory card with a higher speed class and I was wondering if you could recommend a brand, size, speed, class, etc...

As for filters...I'm thinking of getting a UV filter and a polarizing filter, but I'm unsure of what brand to buy. Any recommendations?Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Memory cards have really come down in price. You should be able to get a 32GB class 10 card for a reasonable price.

In regards to filters, some people put a skylight or UV filter on their lens to protect it from damage. A polarizer is useful to cut down glare and sometimes to bring out colors. Any of the well-known brands are ok...Hoya is popular, but it depends on how much you want to spend.
  • edited April 2012
    Howdy @tgilbert - Check out my in-depth look at memory cards for the D3100. It'll answer most of your questions about sizes, speed, class ratings, brands, etc...

As for filters, I'd stay away from a UV filter unless you need to protect your lens from flying debris or moisture (ocean spray). Cheaper low end filters tend to steal sharpness and color. Circular polarizers are great for outdoor shooting, where you want deeper blue skies, more cloud detail and punchier colors. In regards to brands, I like Hoya, B+W and Tiffen. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    @Moose, thanks for the point referring to filters. I will take mine off unless I'm in a 'danger-zone'. ;)
  • @Landon - I don't any any knowledge of those filters, so I can't comment. Thanks! Yep, the discussions have really picked up. Happy shooting! :)