Nikon AF-S 40mm f/2.8G

edited January 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5300 Forum
Today I bought the Nikon AF-S 40mm f/2.8G.
Are there plans to make cheat sheets for this lens and the D5300?

Does someone have tips for this combination?

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Since this is just a little slower and a little longer than the 35mm f/1.8, I would expect the basics to add up very close at normal distances. Depth of field decreases with wider aperture, but also decreases with focal length, so the result will be close, the 40mm providing just a little less background blur wide open. Image size will be pretty similar to the 35mm.

For macro use, my main advice would be to watch out for the light, because it comes very close to a subject and you'll probably need to adjust for shade. Also, for macro, because depth of field is very shallow, you may find AF does not home in exactly on what you want, so be prepared to go manual. I believe this lens has the ability to manually fine tune focus without turning AF off. Try it gently to make sure. You may have to experiment some to decide how much to stop the lens down, as a compromise between added DOF and diffraction. You will gain depth of field as you stop down, but as you go past about f/11, diffraction will begin to diminish sharpness. Sometimes that's all right and sometimes not. To some extent it depends on how much you crop, how big you print, and what you're shooting. Many pixel peepers get hysterical about diffraction but you can't always see the difference at real world size.

A good thing is that this lens, unlike the kit lenses, has a non rotating front element, and this means you can easily use a polarizing filter, making it additionally nice to use as a general purpose normal lens.
  • edited January 2016
    You can manual override autofocus or go to full manual. It works great. There is a switch m/a and m.
    I will try out this weekend some portraits, macro of flows etc.
    Macro from animals would be more difficult because the distance for 1:1 is only 3cm.

The lens s very light and gives sharp images.
    As of now I am happy with my choice.
    I read a lot of good reviews on the lens.
  • @realdutchie - I do plan on creating a set for the 40mm f/2.8 in the near future. There will be a couple other lenses included in the next release, so stay tuned. :)
  • edited January 2016
    @Moose thanks for the answer.