Quick reference

edited January 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5300 Forum
I purchased the NIKON D5300 and the Tamron or Sigma all in one lens cheat cards.
In some cards there is mentioned "Set the white balance to Cloudy or shade, (see quick reference for instructions) to warm them up".
How is that mend?

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Not entirely sure what you're asking, but I note that setting the color temperature seems to have been accidentally omitted from the cheat cards I have, so perhaps it was there too.

You have to go to the shooting menu, at least in the D3200, and select a different white balance there. The camera's default of "auto" works pretty well most of the time, but can tend to be pretty cool and bluish in some daylight conditions.

If you choose a warmer (yellower) tone, it will often make some colors pop a little more without changing the saturation.

White balance can vary a little with the lens too. If you shoot in Raw mode, you can use a program like View NX2 to change white balance in post very easily, and this can be a good way both to fine tune your images, and also to decide which settings in the camera work best.
  • edited January 2016
    I am from Holland so maybe my english was not good enough. :)

When I read the cards I understand there is a separate reference card for setting the White balance, or does it say you have to look bij the first part of the card initial settings with the binocular.

So I mean what is the Quick reference (binocular sign) as mentioned.
  • edited January 2016
    I am not sure, since I do not have the same cards you have, but I think it's possible that the setting was supposed to be there in the cards but was forgotten or that its location is not obvious.

In the cards I have, the set for each lens has a quick reference and a setup card at the end of the set which deals with the mechanics of the camera.

If you can't find that though, you can do what is suggested by going to the camera's shooting menu (opnamemenu), and getting the white balance "witbalans", and choosing "bewolkt" for cloudy or "schadu" for shady.

• edited January 2016
    Thanks, I thought so. :)
  • Hi @realdutchie - When viewed on a computer or mobile device, you can click/tap the binocular icon to jump to the quick reference card which has instructions for enabling certain features, like white balance. Otherwise, if you print the cards, just go to the last card in the set and keep it handy if you need help finding certain functions. All the best!
  • edited January 2016
    Hi @Moose, thank you. I found it already. :)