Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D3200 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

55-200 Lens

edited December 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Good morning!
First off I want to say thank-you so much for the cheat cards! I haven't used my camera in over a year because I became so frustrated from the first time using it, but with your cheat cards my Christmas pictures came out perfectly! My mother-in-law asked if they were professional. :)
Okay, now to my question. I have the kit lens with my Nikon D3200 and I would like to be able to focus on my subject and have a blurry background. Perfect example would be my 2 month old. Would the 200mm lens do what I am looking for? Hopefully for the price, I can do a lot more with it as well.

Thank you again and Happy Holidays!

Comments

• edited December 2015
    If you can stand far enough back, the 55-200mm lens when wide open will provide a better de-focused background, the more the longer the focal length. It's a little long for indoor work, but remember too that the longer lens is also a tiny bit faster at its short end than the short lens is at its long end, so you'll gain a little even at 55mm.

If portraits are your only goal, you might do better with the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, but the 55-200mm is versatile and gives you a lot of options at a good price.