Can extension tubes be combined with magnifying filters?

edited June 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Until I have the cash to buy a good macro lens, I am using magnifying filters to capture the effect. Wondering whether to also buy extension tubes? Thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Yes, you can combine the two, though you might not see much difference. Extension tubes are a bit more efficient than extra lenses/filters as theres no extra glass to cut down the light or cause problems with quality.

I would get the simple variety. They don't have any linkages and you will have to open the aperture manually. I use a bit of blue tack to keep the diaphragm tab open. If you do that, don't forget to remove the blue tack when you're done!

Another possibility is a lens reversing ring, quite cheap as well. It lets you attach a lens the wrong way around to provide a good macro magnification. Again, you have to keep the aperture open somehow. Have fun!
  • edited April 2012
    @Robbo - Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated. Yes, I have also considered the reversing ring too. I might just run with that if the tubes don't make much difference with the magnifying filters. Cheers!