Circular polarizer

edited October 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Can a circular polarizer filter be used with the kit lens 18-55mm and also 55-300 mm? Would it work well with auto mode or just the other modes?
Being a beginner at photography, I would be glad for some advice.

Comments

• edited October 2015
    It is possible to use a polarizer on these lenses, but only if you turn off the auto focus after you have focused, and then adjust the polarizer.

Because a polarizer is dependent on rotation, it is inconvenient on any lens like those two whose front element rotates when it focuses. So if you leave AF on, the filter can rotate out of its position.

You can still do it if you're shooting on a tripod, for instance, where you focus first, turn off the focus, then adjust the filter. But for general use, I would not bother, as you'll find it frustrating.

The prime lenses like the 35mm f/1.8, and some of the other zooms, do not rotate, and for them, the polarizer is well worth while.

As far as modes, I imagine auto mode would be all right. Most filters will work well with the camera's meter, because the meter will register any light loss as simply lowering of the ambient light, and compensate.