Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T5 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Outdoor Family Portraits

edited October 2015 Posted in » Canon T5 / 1200D Forum
Hi! I have a question regarding lens settings on outdoor family portraits. My friend has offered to let me do her family portraits outdoors. I am a novice/hobbyist that has been learning through practice and through a local photography club (that has pros leading it). So, with her portraits, I get to gain experience and if they turn out well, she gets cheap family photos. We are doing the shoot in a state park with gorgeous floral gardens and large oak trees (Spanish moss hanging included). What would be the best lens(es) to use with the cannon T5? I have the kit lenses, 18-55mm and 55-300mm. I also have a wide angle 50mm f/1.8 lens. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Are you taking portraits or the state park? To get nice portraits you need to blur the background as much as possible, and for this your 50mm f/1.8 is the best tool and incidentally it is not classed as wide angle because on your 1.6 crop T5 it equates to 80mm on a full frame. If you want to go wide then use your 18-55mm at the 18mm end.
    PBked