Outdoor Family Portraits

edited October 2015 Posted in » Canon T5 / 1200D Forum
Hi! I have a question regarding lens settings on outdoor family portraits. My friend has offered to let me do her family portraits outdoors. I am a novice/hobbyist that has been learning through practice and through a local photography club (that has pros leading it). So, with her portraits, I get to gain experience and if they turn out well, she gets cheap family photos. We are doing the shoot in a state park with gorgeous floral gardens and large oak trees (Spanish moss hanging included). What would be the best lens(es) to use with the cannon T5? I have the kit lenses, 18-55mm and 55-300mm. I also have a wide angle 50mm f/1.8 lens. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Are you taking portraits or the state park? To get nice portraits you need to blur the background as much as possible, and for this your 50mm f/1.8 is the best tool and incidentally it is not classed as wide angle because on your 1.6 crop T5 it equates to 80mm on a full frame. If you want to go wide then use your 18-55mm at the 18mm end.
    PBked