RAW format problem

edited December 2015 Posted in » General Discussion
Whenever I shoot raw and upload it to light room, I notice these grains in the picture that greatly affect the picture quality and clarity. These are shots I took on low ISO numbers, yet they look worse than if I shot them on ISO 12800. I try to fix it by working on luminescence and sharpness, but nothing seems to work at all. I currently shoot jpeg perpetually since I've been unable to face this problem. Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited December 2015
    I do not use lightroom so I cannot answer that, but you might try using View NX2 or Capture NXD, which can read a Nikon Raw file well, and do conversions to JPG well.

One thing I have heard about is that some programs, of which Lightroom might be one, do not read Active D-lighting correctly. If you are using that, you might see if turning it off in the camera has any effect.
  • edited December 2015
    I shoot with a Canon 100D. I don't think D-lighting is my problem.
  • edited December 2015
    Oh, my Nikon-centrism shows through! I believe Canon has a similar function of a different name, and it might be worth looking into.

I also would consider looking at different programs to see if they read a Raw file differently.

Reading up on this a little more, it seems Raw noise is a frequent problem with some Canons. Among the recommendations are that you apply noise reduction as your first post processing step, and do not wait until you've done others, especially to do it before any sharpening. The in camera JPG conversion is apparently very good at this, but possibly at the cost of some sharpness.

• edited December 2015
    Makes sense, thanks.
  • edited December 2015
    Hi @EMMANUELUSO
    The function on Canon cameras that @BRUTO refers to is auto lighting optimiser. This can enhance noise even at low iso because it boosts contrast. However, before proceeding further, may I suggest you try loading your RAWS into the DPP (Digital Photo Professional) software that came free with your camera. After all, it was written specifically for working on Canon RAW files. Look to see if you get the same results as you do with Lightroom.
    PBked
  • edited December 2015
    I recently loaded a raw file to photoshop and it seemed to not have the noise problem. I think its more of a lightroom problem rather than my camera or anything else. Thanks.
  • You say that you took the photos at low ISO numbers, how low?