About to buy a D3100 - which lens should I start with?

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I bought a FujiFilm S2950 back in December as a 'taster' to see if I could get into photography more seriously and it's done enough to whet my appetite and I now want to move up to a dSLR.

I've almost decided on the D3100 but I'm struggling to decide on what to do for lens - my S2950 has a 35mm equivilent of 28-504mm which I understand I'm not going to get in a single SLR lens - but I'm worried about restricting my felxiability too much by sticking with only the 18-55mm standard kit lens on the D3100.

Should I go for soemthing like the 18-105mm INSTEAD of the 18-55mm or keep the 18-55mm and then splash out for a 55-200mm or similar as well?

Also, what is everyones opinion on alternative lens such as Sigma and Tamron? Considerable costs savings appear to be available against the Nikkor equivilents but are they any good? Thank you - Mike

Comments

• Howdy @mtjones - You bring up some great points about the difference in zoom. If you're used to the long zoom range, they you will definitely feel handicapped when it comes to the 18-55mm. What's your ballpark budget for a lens, assuming you go D3100 body only? When you utilize the zoom on the S2950, is it mostly outdoors in bright light? Let me know. :)
  • edited March 2012
    Hey @Moose - Thanks for the swift reply. Your correct in that I use the zoom on the Fuji S2950 outdoors in good light probably 99% of the time - it got some heavy use on a recent trip to the Maldives when trying to get close up detail on the local Heron population! :-)

I suppose one factor will be on what type of subject's I'm going to be shooting with the D3100? As I'm just getting into things I want to be able to go and tackle most subjects and I'm sure I'll develop a preference for one over another as time goes one... I'm definatley keen on some aviation photography though - my local airport in the UK has a very good viewing park and I've always had a big interest in aviation so it will be nice to start taking my own shots of aircraft movements etc...

As for budget I'm not too sure. Obviously cheaper is better for my wallet, but if it's not going to get the results I'm after I'd rather dig a little deaper rather than be disapointed with my pictures!

I'm more than happy to buy 2nd hand though at this initial stage of things...clear as mud? :-)
  • @mtjones - Based on your prior relationship to the Fuji S2950 and your shooting style, I would start with one of the "all-in-one" Tamron, Sigma or Nikon lenses.

If you're looking to save a little coin, the Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (see here) would be an excellent choice, giving you an effective zoom range between 27-300mm.

If you're worried about sharpness, don't be. The D3100 and Tamron 18-200mm combo will produce sharper results when compared to your S2950. There are self-proclaimed pixel peepers out there that will harp on the overall sharpness and clarity when compared to more expensive solutions. When viewed at respectable sizes, you'd be hard pressed to notice a huge difference in fine details.

It's not the fastest tool in the shed, nor will it produce the buttery smooth bokeh compared to "brighter" lenses, but it will give you the creative freedom to go out and capture everything from landscapes to wildlife. Over time you'll tend to gravitate to a specific type of photography, at that point it would make sense to purchase an appropriate lens designed specifically for the types of subjects/scenes you like to shoot.

Hope all of that makes sense and happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks @moose - the Tamron you suggested does look like very good value and and good focal range to get me started.

I've been down to my local independant camera shop (where I bought my S2950) this afternoon for a chat and a play with the D3100 and a few lenses. The guy in the shop has also suggested a 18-200mm/f3.5-6.3 (Sigma). After trying out the zoom on the kit 18-55mm, the Sigma 18-200mm and a Sigma 70-300mm (with aviation shooting in mind), I think that the 18-200mm will be ideal to get me going.

The shop has offered me a deal (all brand new kit) of:
    * D3100 body
    * Sigma 18-200mm Lens
    * UV Filter
    * Camera Bag
    ...all for 518 GBP ($830 USD)

Plus a trade-in on my S2950 of 70 GBP ($110 USD) giving me a net spend of 448 GBP ($715 USD) - doesn't seem too bad at all to me, especially considering that second hand D3100 bodies are going on eBay for 250+ GBP ($400).

I told the shop I'll mull it over this week and pop back in next Saturday! Thanks for your help, has been invaluable! I'm sure you'll hear from me again once I get started shooting! Cheers - Mike :-)
  • @mtjones - I had to brush up on my GBP conversion. :) Anyway, it's hard to evaluate prices on in other countries (and continents) due to various factors, but based on your eBay research it sounds like a good deal. I think you'll be quite happy with that setup.
  • edited April 2012
    Do yall have Best Buy? I just got a cherry red Nikon D3100 package for $720 (US). It came with a bag, UV filter, the stock 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR as well as a Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR lens.
  • edited April 2012
    Hey @sohaltang - The UK arm of Best Buy has recently gone bust I believe! :-(

Your package seems a steal though at approx 480 GBP! The only thing which I'd be concerned about is the maximum aperture on the 55-200 only being f/4-5.6.