Cheat Cards for 40mm lens

edited September 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hi, I purchased the cheat cards for 18-55mm kit lens. Recently, I bought 40mm micro lens. Do you have cheat cards for this lens also?

I am planning to buy one more prime lens, either a 35mm or 50mm for portraits. Which one do you recommend, or is 40mm enough for portraits? Please advise.

Comments

• edited September 2015
    I would try the 40mm first and see how it looks for portraits. If you find the effect pleasing, there's little need to go for another. The difference between 40mm and the others is pretty small, and the D3200 can afford a good bit of cropping. The other lenses give a larger aperture, but in the real world, you may not miss the difference. The 40mm gets pretty good reviews for overall performance as a normal lens, so I'd stick with that unless you have a particular complaint. If you're looking for another fine prime, I'd save up for something further away from that focal length, such as an 85mm, which is a superb portrait length and if micro also a better length for live creatures, or if you like big scenic shots, something nice and wide.
  • Hey @dreamboy - Cool! At the moment no, but I may end up doing one in the future. I agree with @bruto. The 40mm f/2.8 is quite capable of capturing great portraits. It's not as bright as the 35mm or 50mm, but at f/2.8 you'll still get some bokeh (background blur) and it will perform much better in low light than the 18-55mm lens. All the best!