Camera locks up

edited September 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I have found lately that my camera just stops working for no apparent reason. It just locks up and I can't do anything. I have tried two different batteries. Have I inadvertently done somethign to cause this? Can anyone help please?

Comments

• edited September 2015
    PS: Sometimes it works, but doesn't more often than not. It's very frustrating.
  • edited September 2015
    I had this issue briefly with mine, and then it went away again. I would push the [i] button and get the menu but could not change any settings. What I found was that the one function that still worked when it locked up was the shutter actuation selector (the back button above the trash can). For some reason this would wake the camera up, and it would begin working again. The for a while it got better and required a second push of the [i] button to wake it up. I suspect it was dirt or something in the circuit board, but whatever it was, it went away and has not bothered me for some time.

Anyway, it would help to know what, if anything, the camera still does, or does not do, and whether any buttons at all are working.

There is also a known problem in which certain memory cards are not read properly, and lock the camera up for a time. That problem was addressed with a firmware update some time in the last year. When this occurs you will see the little hourglass icon on the screen, but it just never stops. If that is the problem, I suggest you try the update. Nikon's web site has the firmware and the procedure for installing it. It requires a freshly formatted memory card, and some care, but it works well if you follow instructions.

One thing I'd suggest before going too much further, if you have not already tried it, is a different memory card.
  • edited September 2015
    By the way, for the record, if you go to the Setup menu, and choose the very last item on that menu, "firmware version", it will tell you what version of firmware is currently installed. The last D3200 update was C 104. If your firmware shows an earlier number, then you should update. If it shows C 104, then it's current.

This basic procedure is the same for all Nikon digitals, and it's a good idea to keep track of what firmware versions you have. Updates do not always change much, but one thing they do with some regularity is update the lens database for lens distortion adjustment.
  • edited September 2015
    I tried a new SD card which seemed to help. Then I found that the firmware was C103, following your advice above. So I updated it to C104. During the process I discovered that my battery was low! I have 2 batteries and I had thought I had inserted a fully charged one. However, it is some time since I charged it and obviously they must lose some charge in storage. I had meanwhile charged the other one, inserted it and all seems to be well.
    In the future I won't try to keep a fully charged battery unless I am going to need it soon. I feel a right plonker.
  • edited September 2015
    Actually, it has just done it again, so I've changed the SD card back to the new one (used the old one briefly as I had thought it was the battery).
    Now it seems ok. The card I have in now is Sandisk. The other one was Xtreme Photo pro. I had been in the habit of taking it in and out of the camera to transfer photos, but now I have decided to use the usb cable instead.
  • edited September 2015
    I've never had problems with taking the card out and in, and usually read the card in the computer, but it's possible of course to have a bad card. I have had problems in the past with writing back to a card in the computer, corrupting files, and even once clobbering the file allocation table and losing the whole thing. I always now download the files, and edit them on the hard drive. That is more an issue with my computer than with the card.

One thing you might check is the condition of the write protect tab on the card. This is a purely mechanical device - the tab engages with a switch in the camera or computer slot. Sometimes if it gets moved a little, writing can be intermittent. If it breaks, there are various fixes, but it's rarely worth the risk.

Finally, try reformatting the card in the camera. If it still misbehaves after that, I'd set it aside.
  • edited September 2015
    I formatted the card in the camera when I bought it (the card). I think you have hit the button with the write protect tab - on that card it does seem loose. It probably sometimes has moved in the camera. I think it is probably the culprit but I wonder if taking it in and out all the time might have loosened the write protect lever? Anyway, everything seems to be well currently, with a different card in, so I won't use the old one for the camera any more. It might be handy for something else I suppose, though perhaps I won't feel able to trust it! Many thanks for your help here, it has been most useful. Hopefully it will be all right now.
  • edited September 2015
    I use a few old cards with the computer for other purposes such as portable storage. I figure that if the card fails to work or cannot be written to, it won't kill the computer. If you can get files on to it, the computer can usually read them, so it's a useful substitute for a CD or the like when moving files, or doing a slide show, or backing up vital information, and that sort of thing. When traveling I usually have one in the baggage with documents scanned and such.
  • edited September 2015
    Good idea. I will use it for computer files. As you say, worst case scenario, it would not wreck the computer. Meanwhile, the Sandisk one is OK, and I am getting another like it, so I that I will have a spare camera one.
    Many thanks!