Trouble with remote ML-L3

edited September 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hello, I bought the ML-L3 wireless remote. All the tutorials I watched told me to go to the shooting menu, then click release mode, but for some reason I don't have that option! Can anyone help?

Comments

• edited September 2015
    If the tutorials were for a D3200, they're just wrong. Release mode is on its own back button. It's the one just above the trashcan button.

For wireless release you have two options. The first (4 steps down) gives you a two second delay. The other (5 steps down, and does not show until you arrow down to it) is instantaneous. The two second delay is handy for group shots and the like, since it gives you time to put the control down and not look silly holding the button.

Unlike self-timer mode, which is only good for one shot, the remote release mode stays on for a specified duration. That duration is in the menu, under "Remote on Duration" and you can set it from 1 to 15 minutes. After the duration is over, the release mode reverts to the shutter button. It's handy to have at least some duration if you're doing tripod work, so that you don't have to keep going back to reset the release mode. The duration clock restarts every time you hit the button, so, for example, if you set it for 5 minutes, you can fire off shots every 5 or less minutes forever. If you're waiting for some event to occur and are getting close to the duration you've set, you can just fire a dummy shot, and restart the clock.

Edit to add: the remote on duration is in the setup menu. You have to page down to find it.