Underwater Housing

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hello @Moose - Just visited your forum today and found lots of useful tips for the Nikon D5100 which I bought a month ago. I have almost read all your answers and they were amazing tips and advice to take from and I must confess that I have learned a lot today about my camera, thanks to you.

My question for you is...I am very interested in underwater photography like snorkeling in river and small ponds that aren't deeper than 2 to 3 metres. I found Ikelite underwater housings which seems to be very complicated and very expensive with a price tag around $1400. My current budget is about $200 to $250. Could you please suggest any available options? Thanks - Karan.

Comments

• Howdy @karanvm - Thank you for the kind words and welcome to the D5100 forum. It sounds like you've done your research. While I haven't personally used underwater housings, I do have a couple buddies with some experience. According to them, Ikelite underwater systems are really the gold standard when it comes to diving with DSLR gear.

For the casual snorkeler you can get by with an Ewa Marine underwater housing (see here) . While it's not engineered like the Ikelite systems, it will suffice for the types of underwater photography you're interested in. Happy shooting! :)