Using display screen instead of viewfinder

edited September 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I just got the D3200 for my birthday and I'm used to using the display screen instead of the viewfinder for taking pictures. Is their a setting so that I can change it too?

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Live View. The LV button on the back does it.

Be aware, however, that several of the pertinent settings differ completely in Live View. The auto focus mechanism is entirely different. It is generally more accurate, but can be less precise at times, and slower, not good for action. It works best in good light, and with the aperture wide open before you push the LV button.

For manual focusing, Live View works very well because you can magnify what you see.

In Live view, you also will see the view at the aperture the lens was set at before going into LV. So, for example, if you set your aperture at f/16 and then entered LV, the image would look dark, and you'd see the depth of field you get at f/16. Changing the setting will not change the view, though it does change the exposure of the shot itself. For best viewing, keep the lens wide open until you enter LV. You can make all the usual adjustments, and though they don't show in the view, they will take effect as they should.

Tastes vary here, but I find it much easier both to compose and to hold a shot steady using the viewfinder, as well as having more and better auto focus options. If you're going to follow motion I strongly recommend you accustom yourself to the viewfinder, and if you have trouble holding steady also. But ultimately, you're best off with whatever works best for you.

Also be aware that LV uses much more battery power. Makes sure you don't run out of battery. Keep it charged up, and carry a spare if you can.