Battery drain

edited August 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hi all. Last year l bought a D3200 and I don't use as much as l ought to. Each time l go to use it the battery has drained while in storage, which isn't an issue, as l have 3 spares. Should l remove the battery when not in use?

Thanks in advance for replies.
Nick

Comments

• edited September 2015
    I'm not aware of this being a common problem, but I'd pull the battery if it is being run dead, as that's not usually good for it. I don't think there's any harm in taking it out, as the settings and card memory are not volatile.

Make sure the battery you put in is fully charged. A run-down battery will briefly show a full charge on the display, but will diminish very fast.

I would add that battery drain should not be a big problem when off, but I have read a little that suggests the memory card might be at fault. As you may have observed, when you insert a new memory card, the access light goes on even when the camera is off, so there is, clearly, some residual power being accessed. I would not worry if what you're talking about is the battery being low after some months, but if it's going dead quickly, one thing to look at might be the memory card, and a different one, freshly formatted, might be worth trying.

• edited September 2015
    Thanks for the reply. It happens over weeks rather than days, so l've pulled the battery out and we'llsee what happens next. Thank you.