Command Dial

edited August 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and just bought the cheat sheets for the D3100 18-55mm. The question I have is what does 'rotate the command dial' mean?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited August 2015
    On the back of the camera, to the right of the viewfinder, is a knurled wheel, which is rotated horizontally to the left or right.

Here is an illustration, though not of a D3100. You will see that the person in the picture has his right thumb on the command dial.

(see here)

For various settings on the camera, when the setting type is chosen in the menu, the command dial is used to change it. In Aperture priority mode, the command dial changes aperture, in Shutter priority it changes shutter speed, and in Manual mode, the command dial alone changes shutter speed. When you also hold down the [+/-] compensation button it changes aperture.

If you do not have the instruction file for this camera, visit the Nikon site and download it. The entire user manual is available for free download as a PDF file, and it's very useful to have on hand. Even if you lack the time to read it all at any one time, put it on the computer so you have it when you need it.
  • edited August 2015
    I was a little impatient and put in the question before googling.

Thanks a lot for answering my question.