Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

AC Power Adapter Failure

edited July 2015 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Greetings, and thank you in advance for any help.

Here is my issue. I have a 60D, and it's been a workhorse for the past year. I shoot product 4 times a week, averaging about 125-150 shots a day. I've never had a problem. My camera is connected to my laptop and I use capture software. I was on vacation last week, and when I fired it up today to shoot, everything appeared normal, however, as soon as I pressed the shutter for AF, the battery went dead. My LCD display showed only the empty battery icon which was flashing. I shut down everything, including software, re-started it up and this time the camera didn't even show the display, it went straight to the flashing empty battery icon.

When I swapped out the AC battery for the DC one, the camera works fine. I tried cleaning the heads of both the battery and the inside of the camera, used a brand new battery (still AC) and the problem persists. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    As I understand it, the "AC battery" is just a coupler which is supposed to get an input of 8 volts DC. I would check the output of the transformer or whatever device it is that feeds that DC into the coupler.

If the camera works with a regular battery, then it would suggest that the camera itself is all right.

These days you can get a cheap digital voltmeter from hardware stores and the like for about ten bucks. So if you don't have one, it would be a good idea to get one for this kind of thing.