AC Power Adapter Failure

edited July 2015 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Greetings, and thank you in advance for any help.

Here is my issue. I have a 60D, and it's been a workhorse for the past year. I shoot product 4 times a week, averaging about 125-150 shots a day. I've never had a problem. My camera is connected to my laptop and I use capture software. I was on vacation last week, and when I fired it up today to shoot, everything appeared normal, however, as soon as I pressed the shutter for AF, the battery went dead. My LCD display showed only the empty battery icon which was flashing. I shut down everything, including software, re-started it up and this time the camera didn't even show the display, it went straight to the flashing empty battery icon.

When I swapped out the AC battery for the DC one, the camera works fine. I tried cleaning the heads of both the battery and the inside of the camera, used a brand new battery (still AC) and the problem persists. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    As I understand it, the "AC battery" is just a coupler which is supposed to get an input of 8 volts DC. I would check the output of the transformer or whatever device it is that feeds that DC into the coupler.

If the camera works with a regular battery, then it would suggest that the camera itself is all right.

These days you can get a cheap digital voltmeter from hardware stores and the like for about ten bucks. So if you don't have one, it would be a good idea to get one for this kind of thing.