Additional Lens

edited July 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hi all need your advice. I have a chance of a second hand 18-105mm AF-S f/3.5-5.6G ED DX AF lens. I mainly take landscape photos with the stock 18-55mm lens. Would this lens be of benefit, bearing in mind I am only a beginner. Many thanks.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Is this the VR version? Make sure you know which generation it is, and price accordingly. For the VR version, with caps and hood, KEH gets about $200 for excellent condition used, just for reference. From the reviews, it looks as if the VR version, at least, is pretty decent. A focal length of 105mm is moderate telephoto, and can be very nice for outdoor portraits and the like.

Any extra telephoto reach is nice to have, but if you're satisfied with the 18-55mm's performance in its range, you might consider instead looking at the 55-200mm or the 55-300mm. In non VR form, the 55-200mm can be had quite cheaply used, and in VRI form, it's also in the $200 range. The VR II version is a bit more, and the 55-300mm, which is VRII, goes for about $400 new, but can be had used for something in the $200 range.

If you are planning to travel around with just one lens, then the longer range of the 18-105mm makes some sense, since you can leave the 18-55mm at home. But if you have room to carry two lenses, I'd go for less overlap and more reach.
  • edited July 2015
    I'll add this as a separate post rather than an edit.

If you are looking for additional lenses and some bargains, one source might be Adorama. Adorama and B&H are among the most reputable New York dealers. I notice that there is a bunch of Nikon refurbished equipment on sale at Adorama, including the non VR 55-200mm for $70, and the 55-300mm VR for $200. That latter lens is the one I have, by the way, and I like it. The ones listed are refurbished by Nikon, so among other things you can be sure it's not gray market.

Not to say the 18-105mm may not be a good deal anyway, but there is a lot out there to choose from.

(see here)