Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens

edited July 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I am considering buying a D3200 that includes this lens. Is this an old lens, and how does it compare with the 55-300mm? Does it have to say it is VR or can I assume it is? As you can probably tell, I am a complete newbie. I've noticed some of the lenses say AF-S and others just AF? Can you enlarge upon that? I don't know what the 'S' implies? Also, I have no idea what the term 'grey market' refers to. Thanks very much!
G1ttargirl

Comments

• edited July 2015
    AFS has a motor built into the lens. If you do not know what it is, do not assume anything. If no VR is specified, there will not be any VR. A VR lens will always say wnen it's got VR.

Just plain AF or AFD will almost certainly be the older style AF which has no motor in the lens and requires a motor in the camera. The D3200 will not auto focus with older "screwdriver" AF lenses, but it will meter. The only DX format cameras with motors to drive older lenses are the D7xxx family. D3xxx and D5xxx can auto focus only with AFS and AFI lenses.

The D3xxx and D5xxx family also will mount but will not meter with any lens that does not have AF electronics. It will function in manual mode, but no meter and no AF will apply.

Basically, do not assume any lens has newer features if they are not specified.

I'm not sure which 70-300 lens is in question here. I have the AF-D 70-300 ED lens, which is screwdriver focus, and was, in its day, relatively inexpensive but quite decent. I use this on my old F4, but found that it was not quite as handy as the 55-300 DX lens that is correct for the D3200, so I got one of those and am quite happy with it. Not only does it AF correctly, but the VR is very effective.

If someone gave you the older 70-300mm, or if it was thrown in with a deal, it might be worth keeping, as it was good and sharp when manually focused, but I would not pay much for it. I would definitely not buy a camera with only this lens, as it is far too long a focal length for normal use, and you'll immediately find you must get another lens anyway. You should start with something at least in the range of the standard 18-55mm kit lens, for normal use. As a supplement for the normal lens, the 70-300mm is not a bad choice, but the 55-300mm is a more comfortable fit.

Gray Market is the designation for products that are imported by other than the official US importer. They are legal, but US warranties and service do not apply. Some marketers supply their own warranties, but quality varies. Nikon USA will not only not provide warranty service, but will not supply any service ever for gray market Nikon equipment, even long out of warranty. Often the US rebates will match gray market prices at times, so it's worth keeping an eye on those and getting the proper US version. I would not buy a gray market camera. Not only are you over a barrel for service, but many of the sellers are disreputable. You can get both US and gray market from good sellers like B&H and Adorama, but I'd go with the US model. Some lenses might be worth taking the chance, but it is a chance.
  • edited July 2015
    Thank you so much for this awesome reply! There is much to think about, but first, how can I know if what I am buying is grey market? Obviously, it is very important. When you say, "the US model" are you saying buy it from the US? If so, what good would the warranty do me as I live in Australia? Thanks again!
  • edited July 2015
    I'm sorry, I forgot that those in other countries may have different issues, and of course if you're in Australia you would not benefit from buying the US model. In Australia there is also an authorized Nikon importer. I am not sure, but I believe although Nikon Australia also does not perform warranty work on gray market items, it does do out of warranty service. The refusal to touch any gray item ever seems to be a Nikon US quirk. You should check locally to make sure this is the case, but if so, then gray market involves less risk.

I don't know how it works elsewhere, but it's my understanding that in the US, the serial numbers are specific, so Nikon service can tell from that whether any item is gray market or not.
  • edited July 2015
    Bruto, thanks again. I looked into a good deal from the US (B&H), but when I asked about shipping, they said they weren't permitted to send the Nikon D3200 to Australia. So, being now suitably warned about grey market cameras, I went with a local authorized distributor, paying in Australian dollars. It didn't include any extra lenses but the 33-55mm VR. I will work with that til I get really comfortable with what it and I can do, then consider perhaps getting the Nikon 55-200mm VR down the road. I'm very excited about this forum. I just can't believe the extent of the help offered and available for free, though I will be buying those cheat sheets for $10. I told my cousin who is a semi pro photographer that this forum does more hand holding than a lover. ;o)
    Thanks again, Maddie