Filters

edited July 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I am looking into purchasing filters for my D3200 Nikon camera and I do not know which ones I should start with as I am a beginner at photography. I was told to purchase a UV filter - maybe a polarized and a density filter. How do I know what size mm filter I need for my camera?

Comments

• edited July 2015
    The kit lens 18-55mm has a filter size of 52mm. Others will differ. Usually it will be shown either on the lens (look for an O with slash through it) or on the lens cap.

UV and skylight filters, which used to help a bit in cutting haze and correcting color, are not really needed, except perhaps to protect the front of the lens. A decent one will not harm your pictures noticeably, but may add a little bit of flare in oblique light. For myself, I skip the filter, and have a rigid metal hood on mine.

The polarizing filter is unique in that what it does cannot be duplicated any other way. It cuts reflected light and changes what glare is shown in a picture. In the process it can change the color cast of skies too. It's a grand thing to have. Unfortunately, to use it right you must rotate it to a specific orientation, and because the 18-55mm kit lens has a rotating front element, it cannot conveniently use a polarizer unless you set focus to manual and hold it steady, as any change in focus will change the polarizer setting. AF cameras require a circular polarizer, and good ones can be pretty expensive. Save this one for when you get a lens with a non-rotating front element.

Neutral density filters allow you to get proper exposure in bright conditions while setting the camera as if the conditions were not so bright. They do not affect color. The main use of these is to allow a very slow shutter speed in bright light, so as to blur such things as moving water. I'd get a fairly dark one (4x or more) for this, but be aware that a very dark filter can make auto focusing more difficult.

I would take the recommendation to use filters with a grain of salt. You don't really need them that much. If you are afraid of damaging your lens, get a decent quality UV or Skylight filter to protect it. You can even use it as a lens cap and leave the cap off when you're carrying. Just keep it clean.