Macro

edited June 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I have a Nikon D3200 and a Tamron 70-300mm lens with the option of a macro switch on it. I do a lot of macro photography and when I'm shooting I always hold the camera. I get it focused on the subject with auto focus and it seems fine, but when I upload to my PC, the pictures seem to be a bit hazy or blurry. Could this be from me not being steady enough while holding the camera?

Thank You.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Depth of field is extremely shallow in macro mode, and auto focus may simply not be hitting right. Motion blur may also be a problem, but it's hard to determine which without some testing. If you can, set the camera on a tripod or a sturdy surface and take a macro in which there is no likely camera jiggle. If it's still fuzzy, then you may have a focus issue. Try making shots of objects with some depth and see if any of your subject is in focus. If it is, then your problem is one of focus, and you may just need to adjust it finely so that it's hitting the right place.

It's hard to get super precise manual focus with the D3200 owing to its small viewing area and less than ideal prism. If you can, switch to Live View for manual macro. You can push the [+] button and magnify the viewpoint, and this can be very precise.

In a nutshell, it's pretty darn hard to get a sharp macro shot without a tripod in any case. It takes a lot of practice and even then it's chancy.

Also remember that a zoom with a macro switch, while it's great to have and can do very well, is not really a true macro lens, and you may never get results that match what you'd get with a dedicated macro setup.

You can do pretty well hand held if you have the right macro, but focus is hit or miss. My favorite macro setup is a typesetting lens in a microscope adapter. It does not focus at all. You just move the camera. It's very small and light, and that helps a lot.

http://jmp.sh/x91Op7c