Cheat Cards

edited June 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I purchased the cheat cards, and when I was trying to do the sports one my camera was not letting me put the ISO in auto mode, and I don't see Auto- Area AF.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    @jadeyloo8965, ISO can be tricky, in part because the documentation is not good.

ISO choices vary with the mode and the meaning of "auto" differs.

I could fill a couple of pages with full information on ISO and some of the gaps in the documentation. However, what you mostly need to know is that in P, S, A and M modes, you cannot choose auto ISO from the ISO list. You must go to the menu and choose it there. It means a different thing from what "auto" means for the other modes.

In P, S, A and M modes, when you go to the menu and set Auto ISO, the camera will then start at whatever ISO you have chosen, and if the meter requires it will alter the ISO to suit. You choose an ISO, and the camera is free to override it as needed. You cannot toggle "auto" setting with the ISO dial, and must do so in the menu.

In all the other modes except for Auto (green dial and neighboring no-flash) mode, which allows no control at all, "auto" ISO means something else. Here, "auto" is one of the choices on the ISO list. If you put it on auto, the camera takes over completely. You cannot choose a starting point. If you choose a numerical ISO, you take over completely. The camera cannot override it even if it's a bad choice and your picture fails.

For now, though, all you really need to do is to go to the menu, make sure Auto ISO is enabled with a maximum of 6400, and then set your starting ISO to 100. The camera will start with the lowest (=sharpest and quietest) ISO it can get away with, but will choose whatever higher number is needed to get the exposure. If you are shooting in shutter priority mode, it will never alter the shutter speed.

As for the AF, if you have chosen AFC, then auto area AF should be one of the options. Check again. Go to the [i] menu, and check "focus mode". You should see AFS, AFA, AFC and M. Choose AFC for continuous servo focus. Then go to the next entry down, "AF Area", and there should be four options; single point, Dynamic Area, 3D and multi point. Multi point is the bottom one (solid box) but the name is not shown until you choose it.

I have a tendency to run on a lot and make long posts. If you do want my long winded discourse on ISO and the gaps in the documentation, feel free to ask.
  • Hi @Jadeyloo8965 - @bruto gave you a very thorough and insightful answer. In addition to everything he pointed out, the very last cheat card is a quick reference which gives you the instructions for enabling Auto ISO, Auto-Area AF and much more. All the best!