Blurry shots with the kit lens

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hey guys, I just got a nice secondhanded D3100. When I got it, a wide micro lens was attached to the front. I took it off and started taking pictures with the kit lens. Everything looks blurry and I can not take any pictures. I asked some people and they said it has something to do with the settings. Can someone help? I think the previous owner went into the settings and set something to accommodate the wide micro lens. Everything else is fine when I take pictures with the big wide micro lens on it. I need help, appreciate it.

Comments

• Howdy @iKenny - I'm guessing the kit lens is set to manual focus. To activate autofocus, just locate the A/M switch on the lens and set it to 'A'. That should fix the problem. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    No, it's on A. What to do now?
  • @iKenny - I would also check the 'Focus Mode' setting. If it's set to 'MF' it will disable autofocus. You'll need to change it to AF-S or AF-C.
  • edited March 2012
    It's on AF-S. Any way to reset it?
  • @iKenny - Yes, access the MENU, locate 'Reset Shooting Options' under the 'Shooting Menu'. You'll also want to reset the 'Setup Options', located in the 'Setup Menu'.
  • edited March 2012
    I tried that, but it's still the same. Everything is fine when the wide micro lens is screw on.
  • @iKenny - If you've done all of the above, then there's probably an issue with the lens focusing mechanism. Unfortunately those screw on lenses can sometimes wear out the focusing motor. You might try attaching a different lens, something other than the kit lens and see if things clear up.
  • Hello. I had that problem with my wee Olympus mju 740 until I went to a class. Teech started off by telling us how to take a picture. How basic, I thought. Then the teech said press half way down on the button till you hear a beep or see a green light in the screen . That's the camera focussing. Then continue to press gently and presto. Such a simple thing. Probably not your problem but just in case. My pics started to get a lot sharper. My D3100 pics benefitted from it when I got it.