Settings not responding

edited May 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hello. Last time I tried shooting I noticed that it does not matter what kind of setting I select (manual or auto etc.), the light is absorbed exactly the same way. If I try to adjust the ISO it also does not make a difference in the amount of light in my pictures. All the settings look the same. The flash works and I even tried using alien bees for extra lighting and it did not make a difference at all. Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? Thank you.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Do you have auto ISO enabled? If the camera is set to auto ISO, it will raise ISO to compensate for underexposure, and you will never be able to underexpose on purpose. This includes manual mode.

Go to the menu, and check that, and while you're at it, go to the playback menu and enable the EXIF information in the playback. This will tell you exactly what settings each shot has been taken at. If auto ISO has made an adjustment, the ISO used will be shown in red. Auto ISO overrides are not shown in the display when you are shooting.

If you are trying to overexpose, you should be able to do this in manual mode, but flash may not help unless you compensate it or switch it to manual.
  • edited October 2015
    Hi Moose, I went the playback menu and I cannot find the EXIF information. Can you be more specific as to how to get to that setting for adjustment please?

Thank you,

Lonnie
  • edited October 2015
    Sorry if this was not clear. You will get the basic information from the "OVERVIEW" setting. This will give you shutter speed aperture, and ISO, and the histogram, along with a few other things, and is likely the most useful one. You can get the full EXIF information from the "SHOOTING INFORMATION" setting. That will give you three successive screens of text info containing all the information the camera can show, but for checking your basic operation you don't usually need that.