Write speeds and memory cards for fast time lapse

edited April 2015 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I'm trying to shoot time lapse at 1 second intervals or faster and the camera says busy between shots. The fastest I can do is one every 2 or 3 seconds. It doesn't matter if I'm shooting in RAW or small JPEGs. I am currently using a Sandisk Ultra 16gb class 10 with 30mb/s.

Will buying a better memory card with write speeds of 95mb/s help? What can the camera handle? I'd like to get a photo every 1 second or .5 seconds. Also, how many photos in burst mode can I do before it buffers?

Is it possible to use burst mode for 30 seconds? I'm trying to get 5 seconds worth of video (125 photos).

Cheers.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Hi,
    Can I ask are you also using flash? If so, this would explain the 'busy' message between shots. The card you are using should be able to handle your needs, but it never hurts to have a faster card.
    The T3i can handle approx. 3.5 frames per second for up to 34 shots in JPG large/fine and 3 frames per second up to 6 shots in RAW before it buffers.
    Other considerations for slower operation include the function HIGH ISO LOW NOISE being set to strong, shooting indoors in low light and (to some extent) the lens you are using.
    The T3i doesn't have a built-in intervalometer, but these can be purchased third party. Use one in conjunction with video.
    Hope this helps,
    PBked