Taking a photo through a microscope

edited April 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hi All.

My name is Derek and I need to buy a microscope and connect it to my camera in the cheapest possible way. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Comments

• edited April 2015

Nowadays, there are digital microscopes, and some can be gotten fairly cheaply, so if you have neither microscope nor adapter, you should probably check these out first. Some of these will display through a computer, and you can capture the images directly. Of course it depends on what you need to do.

A proper camera to microscope adapter will cost some money, although it contains no optics. It's just really a mount that attaches in place of a microscope's eyepiece. For occasional use, if you're careful, you can make your own. Here's one link with some ideas:
    (see here)

I have an adapter that was originally made for Konica, which I modified to fit a Nikon, and it works pretty well. Though as you probably know, it's very dark, and the depth of field is very shallow. I haven't found that much I need to get that close, and use the adapter mostly for flat field macro lenses from typesetting equipment.