Magic Lantern, yea or nay?

edited April 2015 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
So who has installed Magic Lantern on their T3i? How was installation? How are the functions?

I was considering jumping right in on it, but I kept on reading these (multiple) dire warnings on the download site, something about 'don't blame us if installation or the firmware itself doesn't work and you're left with a really expensive paperweight or something along those lines. Obviously that's just for covering their own butt as far as lawsuits go, but after that I really questioned whether I need it or not and whether I wanna risk it or not.

For those who don't know, Magic Lantern is free firmware for many different Canon cameras (including the T3i/600D), which adds many still photography functions, video functions and audio recording functions to your camera.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Hi,
    I know of a few people who have downloaded Magic Lantern and use it without problems. However, I also know of one person who ended up with a paperweight - my cousin. It was his fault really because plenty of warnings are given about using a power connector or new batteries before attempting a download.
    But like you, I have considered it a few times and just can't take that final step. I argue that I've got along without these extra functions for many years, so do I really need them now?
    As a BTW, I have just spoken to a friend who successfully downloaded the software and he says he hardly uses it now, but he warned that when his Canon developed a fault, he had great difficulty in finding a Canon repair agent who would touch his camera because of Magic Lantern being installed.
    So in the end the risk is yours. It reminds me of Dirty Harry's immortal line "Now I know what you're thinking - did he fire 6 bullets or only 5. Do you feel lucky punk - well do ya?" You get my drift?
    PBked