Need a camera suggestion

edited April 2015 Posted in » General Discussion
I am in search of the perfect camera (wish me luck, right?). I am looking for something that will take really good video as well as action shots. It must be water-proof and sand-proof.

I want to use it for shooting motocross videos at the Oregon sand dunes (where it’s really sandy and rainy).

My budget is $300 preferably.

Any recommendations? All advice is appreciated!

Comments

• edited April 2015
    You will not get an SLR anywhere near your requirements for that price. The lower end ones which can take very good pictures and video are still above your budget if new, and not at all waterproof or sand proof. Even the high end ones that cost several thousand may not be sufficiently goo proof for what you seek. So in other words, none of the cameras specialized in here are likely to fit your requirements.

Fuji and others make some quite decent pocket cameras that are waterproof and nearly indestructible. I have an older Fuji XP-60 which takes good underwater pictures, shoots video (but I do too little of that to judge what's good), and makes at least decent pictures above the water too. On this one I can only say that the sharpness is decent if not spectacular, and the exposure, color, etc. quite good.

Another option I have not tried, but seen used a lot, is Gopro. These are very rugged compact digital video cameras that will also shoot single and time lapse shots. I've seen some footage that certainly looks pretty impressive. They come in a number of different models from about $200 up, and offer a huge selection of mounting options. For your purposes, I suspect that's a good place to start looking.

• edited April 2015
    The prefect camera hasn't been made yet! But to get a tough rain and sand proof DSLR body you would need to multiply your budget by 20X and get something like a Nikon D4s or Canon 1Ds. As for the lens, any lens, whatever the price, would be subjet to damage by sand. It can get into moving parts like the focus ring or the zoom ring and begin to grind away.
    I think Bruto is right, something like a Gopro may be your best option.