Settings for outdoor shoot

edited March 2015 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I've primarily worked with a T3i with Magic Lantern in a studio-type setting, but now I'm planning an outdoor shoot. Looks like it will be a sunny day, bright clear blue sky, and I'll be shooting up at my subject (guy on a horse). Any suggestions for settings? I know there are methods for shooting one frame at one exposure and the next at a different exposure, but I'm not sure I want to get that complicated. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Hi,
    What you referred to is called 'exposure bracketing' and isn't really that complicated.
    In your situation, use spot metering and choose the center focus point on your subject to compensate for the back lighting provided by the bright, blue background.
    Set your ISO to 100. Use AV mode with an aperture of between f/5.6 and f/11 to ensure enough depth of field.
    If the pictures look dark, try dialling in some exposure compensation.
    Fill flash can be used instead, but I would stay clear of flash where horses are concerned.
    If you have a zoom try to cut out some background by tightly framing your subject.
    If you wish, you could fit a circular polarizing filter. This will make your blue sky darker and help eliminate any possible unwanted flare.
    PBked