Waterfall settings

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I just converted over to Nikon last week. I previously used a Canon T2i and had the opportunity to switch to the Nikon D5100. My goal is to move up the Nikon chain :) So far I love it! However all of my controls are in different places.

What is the fastest way to adjust the shutter speed for waterfalls? And once I get there, how do I save that setting to my favorites or do I need to reset every time? Any tips on other things would be appreciated as well. Just trying to get familiarized with the new toy!

Comments

• Howdy @CCPhoto - Welcome! For most waterfall shots, you can just enable Shutter priority (S on the mode dial) and select a shutter speed (using the small command dial) between 1 second to 30 seconds depending on the amount of light available and the effect you're going for.

The D5100 will save the shutter speed settings used with shutter priority when you switch modes or power off. However, if you adjust the shutter speed for a different subject/scene (say wildlife) the only way to revert back to the previous shutter speed is to manually rotate the small command dial. Hope that makes sense and happy shooting! :)