Wedding photography

edited February 2015 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hi everyone! I am a beginner when it comes to photography, literally 6 months or so, but that has not stopped the sister-in-law from asking me to take photos on her wedding day.

Its only the actual registry day, us Asians have a bigger wedding a day after the official registry day and she is getting a pro in for that!

I have the following lenses and kit and wanted opinions on whether they will do the job or not?

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens
Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Nikon+Motor
18-55mm VR II Lens Kit that came with the camera.
Mcoplus - MK900 TTL Flash

I will be taking some pictures of the venue, inside and outside, then people coming into the venue, pictures of the bride and groom welcoming people, pictures of the bride and groom, pictures of guests, the rings, and then a few family shots (20 people max).

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• edited February 2015
    First of all, make sure she understands that you are not a pro-photographer so she doesn't expect "something like she saw online". Tamron is good for macro work; rings, flowers, foods and everything small in size. Your kit lens will do just great in group shots. Be active when you do group shots and take several different groups. For example if they have kids then bride & groom+kids and start to add up people. Also think of the venue; maybe there's more interesting places outside?

At the welcoming process remember to use fill flash if possible to kill shadows. Keep your shutter speed high enough to stop movement. Reception photos are often nice when black and white. I would use the 50 nifty for this. Just remember if you want more than one person in focus, don't shoot wide open (f/1.8).

For Venue shots your kit lens will be just fine! Don't think about the gear, think about composure (what's in the picture? You want to fit all the venue and its surroundings in it making it a bit dull or use your bride and groom also for Venue shots?).

Taking pictures of guests inside your nifty fifty is the king! Just don't use direct flash! And most importantly, make sure you also enjoy the day! Good luck!