Manual Mode

edited February 2015 Posted in » Nikon D5300 Forum
As a new photographer most of the advice I have read is to throw the camera into Manual mode and learn how to control everything. I have been shooting for the last few weeks in manual mode. I have even turned off Auto ISO so I control everything. In that mode does metering do anything (spot, center weight, or matrix) since I control all three aspects of the exposure triangle? It even appears that the expose control box (+/-) has no effect as the camera makes no decisions for me. It seems they would only affect the settings if I had, for example, auto ISO turned on, or if I was in A or S mode.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    In full Manual mode, the exposure compensation and metering modes affect only the calibration of the meter scale.

Not sure how to explain it. Here’s an example.
    If you’ve not adjust exposure compensation and in matrix metering mode and the Sunny 16 rule applies, then the metering scale will be centered at f/16, 1/125, ISO 100.
    If you set exposure compensation to +1.0, then the metering will now show that you’re underexposed by 1 stop. Nothing has changed, just the metering scale.
  • edited February 2015
    That helps. I see how the exposure meter changes based on the metering mode. I played with the exposure compensation and the meter doesn't move. Thank you for the response.
  • edited February 2015
    I watched a video where the photographer was saying to up the exposure compensation if the photo was too dark, but that must only work in a priority setting, allowing the camera to adjust the what isn't the priority. I take a shot, look at the preview and histogram, and change shutter speed, aperture, or ISO (last resort for me as I hate the noise) depending on what I am trying to get. I slow the speed if I can or open the aperture. I have to say that using manual mode only has really helped me understand the effects of SS, aperture, and ISO regarding exposure. I highly recommend it as it forces you to learn how to take control.
  • edited February 2015
    The exposure compensation does not work in manual mode because its button is used to control the aperture instead. To control shutter speed you turn the wheel, and to control aperture you turn the wheel while pressing the +/- button.

The compensation works normally in P, S, and A modes.

If you are using a lens which meters normally, the exposure meter will still be operating. You will see it as a bar graph beneath the shutter and aperture settings. It will not actually change anything if you have auto ISO off, but it will suggest what setting is correct. The difference in metering patterns between spot, center and matrix will also still apply.

As you change settings, the closer you get to the correct exposure, the closer that bar graph will approach the center "O" mark.

Many people prefer A mode. In this mode, you set your aperture as you choose and the camera sets the shutter speed. Thus the meter has the final word, but you can still change ISO or aperture to bring the shutter speed into a range you like, and can still compensate the meter as needed. Likewise, you can use S mode, and the camera will choose the aperture. If you don't like the aperture, you change the shutter speed or ISO.

Both these modes give the meter the final word on exposure but still give you control over the vital settings, making the relationship between various things quite clear. Exposure will be correct or close to correct unless you alter it on purpose.

P mode allows some control too, with the wheel selecting combinations of aperture and shutter that match the exposure of the initial choice. P (and S too, if you're not careful) can select small apertures that are not ideal for lens sharpness owing to diffraction. Whatever mode you use you need to keep an eye out to insure that the choice you make does not send the other settings out of ideal range.

• edited February 2015
    Exposure compensation is certainly available even in M mode. You have to adjust it in the Info menu since it shares the same button for adjusting aperture.
    Not sure why it doesn't affect the meter for you; it does on my D750. Anyway, I suppose it's not a big deal. Like I said and you've observed, it doesn't really do anything.
  • edited February 2015
    Sorry, I'm using the D3200 as a reference here. In the D3200, although the exposure compensation icon lights up in the Info menu, it does not actually change.

It's a small annoyance in the D3200 but rarely an issue, since the main reason for using manual mode is to disobey the meter.

I see that in the D5300 it should still be available, and should change the meter reading though of course it will not change your settings.