Recommended Flash

edited February 2015 Posted in » Nikon D5300 Forum
Hello all, I have a question regarding flashes. I am looking into getting a flash for my D5300 camera. I am now using a sunpak flash and it gets the job done, most of the time, but I think I want to get something with more options. It has to be easy to use and made for beginners with options to do more as I learn how to use it. I know a Nikon flash is probably going to work best, but I am open to other options. Price is being considered also. Not sure if I want to sink $350 or so into in right now. I am trying to start a small photography business, taking senior portraits, family portraits, baby portraits, Rock Bands etc. I have been doing fundraisers for the HS Marching Band for 6 years now (making no money and donating all profits to the band). I did swim team photos for the past 2 years and have done family portraits and parties/events for some families in the past 6 months. I still have a lot to learn, but with my love for photography it is something I am looking forward to. Thanks and any input would be appreciated. I just ordered one of the cheat kits and am looking forward to trying it out.

Comments

• Hey @Acdcplus2 - Welcome to the forum! The SB-700 (see here) would be my recommendation, however, you mentioned not wanting to spend close to $350. Another option to consider would be the SB-500 (see here). The SB-500 isn't as powerful as the SB-700, but it will sync beautifully with your D5300, giving you nicely balanced flash shots.

While I haven't had any experience with Yongnou, I have heard great things. They make a knockoff version (see here) of the more expensive Nikon SB-900, which comes with TTL functionality. TTL is important if you're running and gunning and don't have time to manually setup the flash.

Anyways, that should get you going in the right direction. Happy shooting!
  • edited February 2015
    I use a Nikon SB-400 most of the time, in close rooms. Its cheap, about $150. You might need a Nikon SB-600 for the type of work you are doing. Used on Ebay they are $150. Also take a look a Panlight.com.
  • edited February 2015
    I have a SB-400 as well, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s a discontinued product, so you’ll probably have a hard time finding a new one on sale anyway. The main issue with it is it’s very limiting.
    The flash head only rotates up to 90 degrees and it doesn’t swivel. This means you can only bounce the flash up when your camera is in the landscape orientation. If you rotate the camera to take vertical shots, the flash will point to the side.
    Also, it has no wireless capability to operate off-camera.

It’s an external flash by nature of what it is but it’s just barely better than your on-camera popup flash. Definitely pay a little bit more for either the SB-500 or SB-700.
  • edited February 2015
    I found this interesting:
    http://dofsimulator.net/en/
  • Couldn't afford the higher end Nikon flashes (at least right now), so I purchased a Polaroid PL-190 TTL for 129.99 from B&H. Its decent enough for a starter like me who is still exploring and learning how to shoot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11023334&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi