Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T5i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Favorite lens

edited January 2015 Posted in » Canon T5i / 700D Forum
Moose, what is your favorite lens for the T5i?

Comments

• Hey @pody - It really depends on the subject you're intending to shoot. For example, if you're interested in portraits, I really like the 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8. For landscapes, I like the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. For sports, the 70-200mm f/2.8 works great in all lighting situations. If you favor a particular type of photography and have a budget in mind, I can suggest some lenses to choose from. All the best!
  • edited March 2015
    I agree also, it really depends on the subject you're intending to shoot.
    I am retired and on a budget, so I only have the 2 supplied lenses, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and the EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6.
    I am interested in a variety of photography such as portraits, street, landscapes and natural subjects such as lightning, astronomy and steam trains.
    Lenses that offer f/1.8 I believe can be very expensive. f/2.8 may be a little better price wise.
    Please comment.
    Regards
  • edited March 2015
    Actually, other than the Sigma 18-35mm, every single f/1.8 lens is a prime lens and most if them are very affordable, especially the 50mm. When you look into primes that are f/1.4 or larger, that's when the prices shoot up.
    All f/2.8 lenses are professional zooms (i.e., 14-24mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm) and these are the among the more expensive lenses that are not exotics.
  • edited March 2015
    So, if I understand correctly a prime lens is a fixed f stop? Are you saying you would recommend a prime lens for shooting landscapes? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Haven't even taken my T5i out of the box. I have a few lenses from the T3i I traded in. Excited to get shooting.
  • edited March 2015
    No, a prime lens is a fixed focal length. What @ohyeahar is saying is that nobody makes zoom lenses faster than f/2.8, so if you want anything faster it must be prime.

Most of the time you do not want a very large aperture for landscapes, because you want more, rather than less, depth of field, and most of the time the kit zoom may well be adequate. A large aperture prime is nice for portraits, where limited depth of field can help isolate a subject.

It's been a while since I did lightning on film, but when I did, I usually found something around f/8, time exposed with ISO 100 film worked about right. So again, the kit zoom might turn out to be fine for that.