Increase maximum recording length beyond 10 minutes

edited August 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Can you increase the maximum recording length (10 minutes) on the D3100? Also, how do you pause video during recording? Is there an option for this? Thanks!

Comments

• Howdy @islamibrahim - Unfortunately there's no way to go beyond the maximum recording length of 10 minutes. This is a limitation with the D3100.

As for pausing, you use the 'Movie Record' button (small round button with an orange dot) to start recording and end recording. When playing back the video, you can press the down arrow on the multi-selector to pause the recording. Hope that makes sense. Happy shooting! :)
  • The manual refers to certain things causing the circuits to overheat. I assume this is the reason for the 10 minute limit.
  • edited April 2012
    I think the actual reason for the limit is so that one ends up buying more expensive camera's offered by Nikon.
  • It looks like a team of Nikon hackers, figured out a way to remove the time limit. I haven't personally tested it out, so proceed with caution. Here's a link to the instructions.
  • edited April 2012
    Even though I haven't done any video with the D3100, my opinion is that if you can start recording a video right after the 10 minute mark (by pressing the record button again), then I cannot see it being to protect the D3100 from overheating.

Otherwise they would have put something in place to stop another recording being made until the camera has cooled down. I may be wrong, but it seems this is a design fault and Nikon needs to sort it out.
  • edited August 2012
    Interesting hack and worth reading down the page and seeing all the comments for and against overheating and other stuff.

I won't be trying this hack. Recording time doesn't interest me, but I hope they continue with the other, more interesting hacks.
  • edited August 2012
    I went to an all day music festival and ran into issues with overheating. I didn't come close to the 10 minute time per video, but I was doing a video for each set and after awhile I got a message that LiveView was going to shut off due to overheating. When I tried to start a new video I got a message about waiting for the camera to cool down.

It's kind of a bummer but I ended up just being more selective on the sets I recorded, and between sets I took my camera off the tripod and put it in an insulated bag.
  • The sites for the video time extension patch seem to be defunct. Even the Nikon Hackers site seems to have been whacked.

Is there another site to download the patch?

Or am I missing something?