D3200 goes to Antarctica

edited January 2015 Posted in » General Discussion
I have finally gotten around to sorting some of the pictures I took last month in Antarctica and promised Moose I'd show some, so I figure I might as well share. I took thousands, and it was hard to cull. Every penguin is cuter than the last.

I don't guess I'll win any big prizes, but I think it went all right and I certainly enjoyed the experience. If nothing else, one can see that the lowly D3200 can get exposures right and bag a bird in flight.

Most of the pictures were taken with a D3200, 18-55mm, 55-300mm lenses, and a few with a 28mm f/3.5 manual lens and polarizer. Some, including most in Buenos Aires and Ushuwaia and a few on the water, were taken with a Fuji waterproof point and shoot as the D3200 doesn't care for rain.

The panoramas are done with the D3200, and stitched with Microsoft ICE.

All images are downsized, and of course lose some clarity as a result.

The trip began in Buenos Aires, with a short trip to a park in Ushuwaia. Then on the ship to Antarctica with stops at various landings on the way, including Port Lockroy, which is a restored British base. We then returned to Ushuwaia, and home.

Hope you enjoy.

The link is to a folder titled "CD" which should contain the files. If it works correctly, the EXIF info should still be attached to the images so you can see, if need be, what camera settings and lenses, etc., were used.

Order may not be correct. The camera started a fresh count partway through. I tried renumbering but it may not work on all programs. The first Nikon picture should be DSC 7931, with an added "1" to files past 9999. Files with a "DSCF" are from the Fuji.

https://app.box.com/s/rgcqxd6qj1woi4h9tufe4pgoka1suktg

edit: it looks as if you will get the individual files, not the whole folder. They can be viewed there, but the viewer removes exif info.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Bruto
    What a wonderful picture set. The ice formations are incredibly beautiful, and the penguins and seals of course. Isn't nature wonderful and captured to perfection by you. Very well done.
    PBked
  • edited April 2015
    A quick note. For some reason not all programs open portrait style photos correctly. I believe I have fixed that locally and will attempt later to re-load on the site linked, or perhaps to provide a new link with better display.

It seems no matter what I do, it does not display right. I will have to find a better web based storage medium, I guess. It's impossible to load whole folders at once, owing to a Java bug. All I succeeded in doing was adding more copies of the same files, still not oriented right. Sorry. You'll have to download them if you want to turn them around, I guess.
  • edited January 2015
    @bruto
    Flickr is your answer, man. 1TB free storage, full res up/download, EXIF data preserved and excellent mobile apps for both iOS and Android.

I'd love see your shots but I'm on my phone most of the time, so accessing box.net is a bit of a hassle.
  • @bruto - Thanks so much for sharing! I'm always amazed at the blue hues in each of the icebergs. It looks like you had an amazing trip.
  • edited April 2015
    Very nice pictures. Professionally taken. Keep it up mate.
  • edited August 2015
    I'm just a beginner, but those look fab to me! We took a trip to Alaska last year. All I owned was a point and shoot, so I bought a D3200 to take on the trip. I think my pictures turned out pretty well considering I just got the camera, but I'm not sure I could have taken a bad photo considering the scenery. Absolutely breathtaking!