Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T5 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Do you have tips for auxiliary lenses?

edited January 2015 Posted in » Canon T5 / 1200D Forum
Hi!

My camera kit came with a couple of lenses, the 18-55mm and 75-300mm. It also came with two lenses that screw on to the front of the main lens - one is a wide angle and one is a telephoto. I haven't been able to get any good shots using these, but it may be because I haven't experimented enough. Are these lenses just gimmicks to get you to buy the whole kit, or are they actually useful for anything?

Thanks!
-JK

Comments

• Hey @JoshuaPK - Welcome to the forum! I would personally stay away from those screw on lenses. Retailers throw them into a package to "sweeten" the deal, but in reality they can actually damage the lens. The extra weight on the front lens element causes a strain and can affect the zoom mechanics and also the focusing motor. Sorry for the bummed out news.

What types of things do you like to shoot?
  • edited January 2015
    It wasn't really bummed out news, because the deal was a good one even if those cheap lenses weren't included. Amazon had a lot of really crazy Black Friday deals on DSLR kits in December.

I want to practice and get good at a couple of things, namely, portraits and wildlife. I shot these photos with my 75-300mm (non-IS) lens. The first photo at a focal length of 300mm or maybe a hair under, and the second at 75mm. I am eagerly awaiting a 55-250mm lens with IS, which should be arriving soon.

(see here)