Need advice on new Nikon lens

edited January 2015 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
My setup is a Nikon D3200 with a basic 2 lens set up.
I upgraded to a 35mm prime lens and I love it.
I'd like to get one more prime lens, but I'm not sure which one.
I like to build Plastic models 1/48 scale and take photos of my build.
Looking for maybe a more close up lens. I also like to take family close up photos.
Would this 85mm be a good pick:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838798-GREY/Nikon_2201_AF_S_NIKKOR_85mm_f_1_8G.html

Thank you
Rick

Comments

• edited January 2015
    For portraits you may find an 85mm a little long for indoor shots in small spaces, but it's wonderful for larger spaces.

Traditionally in LX format, an 85mm is nearly ideal for indoor closeups, and a 105mm outdoors. In DX, you're more likely to use 50mm and 85mm, respectively. An 85mm gives you the angle of view equivalent to 127mm in LX, getting right into the telephoto range. You'll have to stand back indoors, but if you're inclined to zoom in on things already you'll love it outdoors.

The 85mm here is well regarded, and with its wide aperture an 85mm will give luscious out of focus "bokeh" for portraits. It will also, of course, offer very shallow depth of field at shorter distances. If you are trying for that effect it will serve well, but it will be a challenge to get shots up close with all of your model in clear focus.

It's not a macro lens, so you will not be able to get really close up. On the other hand, to get all of a model vehicle in you will not be so close anyway.

I have an old (pre-AI) 85mm f/1.8 manual lens that I put on a tripod and shot, to give a rough idea of what you get. This is a wooden toy about 9 inches long, taken from about 4 feet away, at f/8. Manually focused, centered more or less on the "S" in "Bus". As you can see, even at f/8 it softens a bit as you get to the tail end of the bus, but you can also see that the progression is rather nice and the overall look is good. Most 85mm's will be similar.

https://app.box.com/s/gh0qgjp2m5jjvhi3fmpz

I should probably mention, as an afterthought that I recently also committed an act of terrible self-indulgence, and bought a used copy of the now discontinued "D" version of the 85mm f/2.8 PC Micro lens. This is a tilt and shift manual focus lens with a preset aperture, very heavy and rather clumsy, but it does a whole lot of tricks. I love shifting lenses. If you get serious about macro and model table work this is a wonderful machine, but I cannot reasonably recommend it for everyday use as it is expensive and clumsy to use. Its best application requires a tripod. The non-shifting 85mm is much easier to use, and even the ancient one is sharp as a tack and gives beautiful portraits. This focal length is, like the 105mm, one at which Nikon has always excelled.

• edited January 2015
    So the 55mm would be the next lens I need?
  • edited January 2015
    Hey @rickg - I would look at the Nikon 40mm f/2.8 macro lens. A true macro lens will open up a whole new world of photographic opportunities, especially if you're into minatures and plastic models.

The 85mm f/1.8 is an amazing portrait lens, but like @bruto mentioned, it is quite long, especially when shooting in small spaces.

For what you're interested in, the 40mm f/2.8 would be my recommendation. Happy shooting!
  • edited January 2015
    Indeed, the 85mm is pretty long. I like it, but that's partly for its macro possibilities where some extra length can get you more distance from skittish bugs and critters. I also still shoot some film where 85mm is more comfortable. The old pre-AI lens cost me $60 some years ago, and the tilt shift one appeals to the gearhead in me. It's not the length I use most by far, and neither is the lens I'd recommend for normal use. I'm much more likely to be using 28mm, 35mm, or the kit zoom. Remember too that with all the pixels our D3200's possess it's pretty easy to crop in if the view is a little wide. Once your back is against the wall, you can't go any wider, and if you need macro, a true macro lens will deliver it. If you just love the image you get from an 85mm nothing else will quite do it, but it's a niche and rather an expensive one if you guess wrong.

If you have the kit 18-55mm zoom you can experiment with focal lengths and see what lengths you most use. If you have a longer zoom as well you can play around with the other lengths. When trying to figure out what to get next, don't forget to try lots of pictures, and get realistic about what size your finished product will be. If you print to normal sizes, experiment with cropping, including drastic cropping of good sharp ones. You may be surprised at how little you lose.
  • edited January 2015
    Thank you.
    Here is a used one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/810414?gclid=CjwKEAiA28ilBRCy5cXrgtfTxTISJABgX7E24M5l4x-MWtOgOEBHaQWDOJ2PpCiVKqWF9t5nUsNSNhoC2Dfw_wcB

Is this lens correct for the job?
    -Nikon 40mm f/2.8 macro lens for super close ups
    -35mm for all around photos
    85mm for portrait
    Thank you
    Rick
  • edited January 2015
    Yes, I would say so, though the 40mm is close enough to 35mm that you could leave it on much of the time as a general purpose lens. It's close enough to 50mm that it could serve for portraits too if you crop a little. For portraits, the 50mm is also worth looking at. It's much more forgiving in close quarters and like the 35mm f/1.8, the 50mm f/1.8 is one of the great bargains in lenses; it's considered by many to be one of the best lenses ever made. To get equivalent quality in any length other than 35mm you will pay much more.

I'd hold off on the 85mm unless you're pretty sure of what you're going to need, and consider the 50mm.
  • edited January 2015
    Thank you
    I have the 35mm and love it .
    With some Christmas money the 40mm will be ordered. Then this summer I'll get the 50mm.
    Thank you.
  • edited January 2015
    Is there a major difference in photos with these two lenses? I know one is f/1.4 and the other is f/1.8. The other major difference is the $200 price tag.
  • edited January 2015
    Are you talking about the 50mm? I don't have any of the new 50mm's but it's my understanding from reading that although the f/1.4 is a great lens, and of course very fast and well made, the f/1.8 is actually a little sharper. The need for that extra 2/3 or so of stop is rare, especially in the age of digital when you can easily achieve clean ISO speeds that would have been a major challenge on film. The same used to be true in manual lenses. The old f/1.4 was great and unusually fast in its day, but the f/2 was sharper and had a flatter field.
  • edited January 2015
    Yeah I forgot to say the 50mm was a $200 difference. I wasn't sure if the f/1.8 or f/1.4 is better for me. I don't have enough experience to know what. The cheat sheets have helped me learn how to set my camera 100 percent better. I now can dial my project in with using the cheat sheets.
    50mm f/1.8 $217.00
    50mm f/1.4 $419.00