50mm f/1.8G AF-S

edited December 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I just bought the D3200 kit 3 weeks ago which has 2 kit lenses. I was thinking about buying a prime lens (50mm f/1.8G AF-s). I went to a camera store and they were suggesting I should get the 50mm f/1.8D AF. As far as me being a beginner photographer, I believe that the AF lens only allows manual focus. Also, is it worth to invest on a 50mm f/1.8G AF-S lens?

Thank you

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Indeed, the f/1.8D lens will not allow you to autofocus on your camera body. Definitely get the f/1.8G lens if picking between the two.
    Is getting a 50mm prime lens worth it? This is subjective, but yes, I think so. The other lens you might want to consider is the 35mm f/1.8G DX. It's similarly priced to the 50mm, but offers a slightly wider (possibly more useful) field of view, especially on a crop sensor body.
  • edited December 2014
    Thank you for your comment. Now you've given me a dilemma. I was thinking about buying the 50mm but based on what you said, I think I have to do some research again on the 35mm.
  • edited December 2014
    Both are excellent lenses and favorably reviewed by all. It's certainly not unheard of for a Nikon DX shooter to have both these lenses.
    If you get both, then it's arguable that you no longer need a normal zoom lens such as your kit 18-55mm or the more expensive f/2.8 lenses such as the Nikkor 17-55mm or the Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm.

If you must choose one, then simply pick the one with the more useful focal length. Take your 18-55mm and shoot it only at 35mm the whole day. The next day shoot it only at 50mm. Decide which you prefer.
  • edited December 2014
    I have the 35mm prime f/1.8 prime lens. I love it. It opened up a new world for me. I may never use the other zoom lens again. I may get the 55mm prime lens for more close up photos.
    What ever lens you get, you will not be disappointed.
    Rick
  • edited January 2015
    Thank you ohyeahar and rickg for the comments. Just to keep you guys updated, I bought the 50mm f/1.8g and I'm loving it! I just need to practice my footsteps in regards to zooming my subject. I did take the advice of shooting on 35mm and 50mm on my 18-55mm kit.

Since I will mostly do street photography, should I also invest on a 17-50mm Tamron?
  • edited January 2015
    I used to have the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. I've never found this lens to be good for street photography. It's size and weight makes it not very discreet. You can't really shoot it one-handed.
    That said, it's a fine lens to have to replace your kit 18-55mm.
  • edited January 2015
    For the 17-50mm I would get Sigma. Its a big lens but has a very silent autofocus and great os. It used to be twice the price of Tamron but now it's almost the same. Image quality is the same in my opinion. Primes rock for street photography. For street I use a 12-24mm Tokina and a 50mm f/1.8g wide angle lens and I never miss a shot. Before getting my Tokina, I used 35mm prime which did most of the job. In low light 17-50mm os helps versus non vr prime, but you could just get a diffuser for pop up flash from ebay for a dollar and a tripod for pictures of buildings etc. No os/vr/is/vc will ever replace a tripod.