Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 versus Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8

edited December 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a new wide angle contemporary kind of lens, which I should be able to use most of the time.
I do have a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 prime and I absolutely love its picture quality.
Based on my budget and all the reviews I have read so far, I am just torn apart between Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 or Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8.
One provides a bot of extra zoom and the other provides a low f stop compared to the first.
I will mainly be using this for portraits and street photography, and maybe a bit of landscapes.

Will you guys please help me in deciding between the two with your excellent views?

I appreciate any reply.

Cheers, Mudit

Comments

• edited December 2014
    That's a tough choice, both are sharp lenses wide open. I've owned the 17-50mm and loved it. I've only played with the 18-35mm a few times, but it did leave a good impression.

I think the 17-50mm may be the better choice for you at the moment.
    For portraits, the 18-35mm is simply too wide.
    For street, the 18-35mm is not a very discreet lens to shoot with. Neither is the 17-50mm for that matter, but it is relatively smaller and lighter.
    For landscapes, you'll stop down anyway so the extra stop of max aperture doesn't help at all. The 18-35mm only goes down to f/16 while the 17-50mm goes down to f/22.
    If you shoot any video, you may want the 17-50mm since it has OS.

The 18-35mm is a great lens in terms of image quality and performance, but its utility seems very specialized. The 17-50mm is more of a general purpose lens and will be able to handle most things you throw its way.

Do you have the 18-55mm kit lens? If so, it's very easy to know which is the right lens for you. Take a look at all your pictures. How many were taken towards the short end of the lens and how many were taken towards the long end of the lens? If more of your photos were taken between 18-35mm, then get the shorter faster lens. If more were taken between 35-55mm, then get the (just barely) slower longer lens.