Best cheat sheet for Nikon D3200 with 55-200mm & 18-55mm lens

edited December 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I mainly want to photograph long exposure shots like stars, moon, moving lights, waterfalls, etc. I really like the silky look of water flowing, car light streaks and up close shots of the moon and stars. Which lens should I get the cheat sheets for if I only want to choose one between the 18-55mm or 55-200mm?

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Get the one for 18-55mm. That's probably the lens you're going to be using for most of what you want.
    Only the moon shot should definitely be done with the longer lens, and I'll just tell you how; it's easy.

Two things you should know about photographing the moon. It's very bright, and it's actually moving. That means a fast shutter is required.

Check out this shot I took: (see here)

It was taken at 200mm, ISO-100, f/8, 1/400 (it's cropped, obviously).

Use M (Manual) mode and try your shot at those same settings. Then adjust your shutter speed depending on how bright you want the moon to look.
    Also, use manual focus. Use Live View and press the zoom in button to magnify the image. Then turn your focus ring until the moon is nice and sharp.
  • @shannoncaden - I have to agree with @ohyeahar, for the subjects you intend to shoot the 18-55mm might be the better choice. If you're really into long exposure photography, you might also think about getting a neutral density filter to really smooth things out. All the best!