Black edges on downloaded pictures

edited December 2014 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I took a bunch of pictures at a wedding last weekend and they all came out with black edges on 2 opposite sides, always the long sides of the picture. Does anyone know why this could have happened? Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I never had this problem before. Any help is really appreciated.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    If you are shooting flash at the wrong shutter speed, the image will be narrowed. If you have the camera handy, take some pictures with no flash and see if they are proportioned right. Waste some shots to find out what's going on.

If there is a shutter malfunction, the image may also be narrowed, but it usually will not be consistent. The edges of the dark areas will usually be less sharp than you get with flash issues. Put the camera in shutter priority mode and try it at various speeds, from very low to high. Subject is unimportant, and ISO is unimportant. Just find something bright enough to show on the finder and shoot it. Don't be shy. The trash icon is your friend.

Sync speed for this shutter is 1/250. Up to that speed, the shutter will open all the way, then close. Above that speed, the shutter will pass a slit across the sensor. There will never be a time when it is all open, which is why you cannot shoot electronic flash at higher speeds. A malfunction will not usually be the same at both high and low speeds.

Check the pixel count of the images against the specs for your camera. In large or Raw size they should be 4928 x 3264. If the proportions of the image are correct, then perhaps something has changed in whatever program you use to display.