Bad memory card

edited December 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hi all. New to the forums here. Just wondering if anyone here has had issues with Sandisk memory card(s) with their D3200. Specifically, the Sandisk Ultra SDHC card (16GB flavor). This card was included with purchase of camera. Problems I encountered were either very slow read times or altogether card failure.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    I have not had such problems, and Sandisk is usually pretty reputable. The card in question should work fine. If you have a problem, I would get in touch with Sandisk.

The only other thing I would mention is that if you are doing video and burst mode, you need a high speed card. My dealer recommended a speed of 8 or 10, though for single shots it's not so important. That should not affect read times or failure rates.

Make sure that if you're using a computer with a built in slot, it is able to read the higher density cards reliably. Many cannot, and even some that can will occasionally clobber a card. After a couple of small disasters, I now always offload my card to a hard drive first, and never edit files on the card itself.
  • Hey all. I had a feeling it wasn't a bad card. Nikon just released firmware update version 1.04 for the D3200 DSLR camera with a single memory card fix. from the download center at the official Nikon website: "Addresses an issue that caused the memory card access lamp to light longer than normal or the message “This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged. Insert another card” to be displayed while the memory card was accessed."
  • edited September 2015
    I had a memory card fail on the last day of holiday. I thought the card was a copy and bought a more expensive card without further problems. I then changed the firmware which is easy to do when you read the instructions. No issues with the update. 1.04.