Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D3200 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Settings for newborn & Northern lights

edited December 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hoping to get helpful info on shooting pictures for a newborn indoors. I live in Alaska so natural sunlight is limited during the winter with 23 hours of darkness! I would also like best settings for the northern lights up here. I just purchased a Nikon D3200 and I hope to improve my photos!

Comments

• Newborns don’t tend to move much or very fast. So for now, you’ll probably be ok with using relatively slow shutter speeds like 1/60. Bump that speed up as your child grows and moves faster. I used to photograph my son at 1/125 when he first started to walk. Now I need to use at least 1/250 to keep up with him!

Take advantage of this time when your child is pretty much asleep ALL the time. You’ll be able to pose him/her however you want. Be creative but of course, exercise caution. Safety first!

Take close-ups. Those tend to turn out really nice. Hands or feet often work very well.

Try not to shoot down at your child. Get down to his/her level for a more intimate looking shot. For example, imagine these 2 shots:
    Shot 1: Child is sleeping face up. Shot is taken from above.
    Shot 2: Child is sleeping on his/her side. Shot is taken where the camera is level with the surface of the bed.

Not sure what else I can suggest other than to follow the general guidelines for low-light no flash shooting.

In terms of gear, if you don’t have one already, then you should get a fast normal prime lens.
    35mm f/1.8G DX
    50mm f/1.8G
    Get either one or both. These are among the best bang for buck lenses available. You get a 3-stop advantage over your 18-55mm kit lens making it perfect for shooting in low-light without flash.