Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D3200 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Connecting a Garmin Etrex HCx GPS

edited November 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Has anyone successfully connected a Garmin Etrex HCx GPS to the D3200? Looking around the web, it seems that it should be possible, but I haven't come across anything definitive by way of a 'how to'.

If someone could tell me exactly what leads I need and any set-up details, I'd be grateful.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Sorry, I don’t have anything useful to say about that particular GPS unit. I looked at its manual but don’t see anything about interfacing with something like a camera.
    I hope the following points help:
    - The GP-1 unit (designed to be compatible with your cam) is less expensive than that GPS.
    - You can also geotag your photos without a GPS unit using the method described here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp1KCkItmf4
  • Thanks for the info. I've seen a couple of apps like this before and will try them out.

However, the reason I asked about the Garmin Etrex is that I already own one and from what I read it would be a lot better at geotagging than most of the camera-specific gadgets, which seem to suffer from inaccuracy and take a long time to get a satellite lock.

I'm pretty sure that the Garmin does connect to the D3200, but there seems to be a need for a specific lead or adapter. I'll keep looking and leave a post if I find the answer.