Zoom

edited October 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
My son got a hold of my camera and touched who knows what. Now I can't zoom in past 24mm. HELP!!

Comments

• edited October 2014
    I presume this is the 18-55mm kit zoom?

That lens should zoom pretty easily by twisting the lens, and if it does not, I fear something may be broken. If it got dropped it may be a goner. It's also a lens that does not at all forgive attempts to manually focus it when it is on AF, so if it got twisted hard, something may have been damaged there.

However, before you get too worried, I suggest you check the AF switch. Turn it to M and see if the lens focuses properly. This lens's focus ring turns only a few degrees from one end to the other, so if it turns about the equivalent of one clock hour and moves in and out by about 3/8 of an inch, it is at least not jammed.

If it seems to be focusing properly, try taking a picture with AF on and see if it's sharp. If it is not, the lens is probably damaged internally.

Now, with the lens back on manual focus, see if the zoom ring turns more easily. It's possible that some particle of dirt or sand got into it.

The lens behaves rather oddly in that the focus ring turns slightly when you zoom, and the barrel moves in then out again (shortest at about 30mm longest at 55mm, but nearly as long at 18mm). For this reason it's hard to separate problems. Focus helicoid damage might, for example, prevent zooming too.

There's a lot happening in there, and unfortunately, though it's optically a fine lens, it is rather cheaply made and easy to break.

If you hit a patch of resistance to movement, it's a judgment call whether you try to push past it or stop before doing damage. The first thing I'd do before going too far is to see if it is focusing and working properly at all in the range you can choose. Take a picture at a focal length you can reach at different distances, and magnify the previews as much as you can. If it's not focusing properly, you should see this. If it's good and sharp, it might be jammed rather than damaged, and you have more hope of getting something.

It's probably cheaper to replace this lens than to get it fixed. If you do find you need to replace it, check out KEH. com, which has many used lenses and a good guarantee. You can get a replacement for this specific lens there for something in the $90 range. Of course it's also a judgment call whether you stick with this one or get something else. There are other zooms that will work with your camera, though few are as cheap as this one.

If shopping used, make sure that a new lens has an internal motor. Old AF lenses will not auto focus with this camera if they require a motor in the camera, as most lenses labeled "D" do. Also note that earlier versions of this type lens did not have VR. They may be cheaper and probably fine, but if you like that VR, you'll pay a bit for it. The latest, for the D3300 has a slightly nicer front end design, a non-turning front element that's easier to put a polarizer on, and VRII, but it's said to be no sharper. It also retracts a bit for storage.

A really nice lens that works with this camera, though considerably more expensive, is the 18-140mm zoom that comes as a kit lens with some versions of the D7100 and others. It's a VRII, very sharp and still plastic, but better made than ours. With a non rotating front element and a metal mount with a dust shield, it also allows you to adjust focus manually when in AF mode without damage. It's pricey by comparison, but it's a very nice range, and it's sharp all the way through. I borrowed one from my wife, and I was sort of sorry to have to give it back.
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks for the great feedback, I really appreciate it! We were at a farm this weekend, I wonder if dirt or something got stuck inside? I was able to twist it firmly to get it working again. It seems to be working just fine, now. I will keep your post in mind if I have problems in the future! Thanks for the help.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm glad it turned out to be simple. I imagine it's pretty easy to get some grit or mud or whatever in there, and sometimes a jam caused by mishandling can be unjammed with a cautious bit of force. With luck that's the end of it. If you should be in danger of having your rig borrowed again, I suggest you put the lens on MF just in case.
  • I hope that whatever that was stuck got unstuck by actually dislodging outside the lens rather than being stuck further inside. Maybe unmount it and give it a shake to see if you can hear anything rattling around inside?

Anyway, reading @bruto’s comments about the focus ring reminds me of my frustration at lenses without manual focus override. This should really be a standard feature. I can’t count the number of times I’ve turned my focus ring by accident and heard the dreaded “clunk clunk clunk” sound as it resists against the focusing motor.
  • edited October 2014
    Good idea to shake it, but remember that because this is a VR lens, it will rattle a bit normally. It's kind of a low mechanical rattle, more so sideways than up and down. You should not hear anything moving if you simply invert the lens or move it slowly around.