Raynox DCR-250 + Nikon 105mm f/2.8

edited October 2014 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I was thinking of adding the Raynox DCR-250 to my Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR Micro. Anybody have any experience with this combination?
Pro and cons?
Thanks!

Comments

• edited October 2014
    I have used the 105mm f/2.8 D micro and other diopters, but not quite that combination.

Results may vary depending on your camera and how the Raynox compares to others like it.

In my experience, the D3200's pixel density makes cropping a more viable solution than it may once have been. Once upon a time, the maxim was that you'd lose less quality using diopters, extension tubes, tele extenders and the like than you would by cropping. Now it's often not the case.

Diopters will make an image bigger, but only by moving closer. You will also lose some flatness of field and edge focus. If your pixel density is less than the latest, you may do better with the diopter if you do not need acute and accurate edges (which you often don't in macro).

In my small experimentation, a low powered diopter was about as good as a crop, and a higher powered one less good. The ratio may change when you get higher magnification. I only have gone as far as 3x. Within that range cropping wins, at least with the D3200.

Diopters are generally a better bargain on lenses that are not so highly optimized for macro work. Zooms which are labeled "macro" because they focus close are often not all that free of distortion in macro mode, and the diopter involves no loss. The 105mm micro is awfully nice as it comes.

Edit to add: it's hard reading reviews to figure how much magnification the Raynox provides, but it's apparently pretty powerful. You might consider getting the 150mm rather than the 250mm. In any case, the quality seems to be agreed upon by all, so if you can handle the closeness issue it might be the way to go.