Pictures too dark, too bright or color is off in all modes

edited October 2014 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have tried multiple settings in every mode (p, av, tv, m and auto) with the Canon 28-55mm lens, and the pictures are way too bright or way too dark. I tried every ISO possible, adjusted the shutter speed and aperture, and in every setting mode the picture is way too bright, too dark, or the color is way off. How do I know if there's something wrong with my camera or if it's the lens? I'm not getting any error messages. I'm beyond frustrated. I have tried to change the exposure and I have tried to meter it before the shot, but still the same thing.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Hi,
    Without samples it is hard to judge your problem. Can I ask if you have altered the exposure compensation level at any time? This does not reset automatically when the camera is turned off or on again - you have to manually zero it. Have you enabled auto lighting optimiser in the menus? Have you accidentally switched to custom white balance without actually setting a custom white balance?
    I'm just throwing these thoughts into the pot as without samples it is like saying to a mechanic "I have a noise in my engine" without showing him the car.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited October 2014
    Definitely look at your White Balance and exposure compensation settings. Make sure they’re at Auto and +/-0.0, respectively.

If you’ve checked that, and you still have issues, then you need to troubleshoot further systematically.

Take a shot in Auto mode. If you take another shot of the same subject under the same lighting conditions, it should be identical to your first shot, right?
    So are the shots too bright or too dark? It can only be one or the other.
    How are the colors? Are they too warm or too cold? Again, it can only be one or the other.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s impossible for your camera to capture the same subject under same conditions with the same settings and output different results to you. If this is indeed the case, then you need to bring your camera in for servicing (and maybe an exorcism!).

Have you tried another lens to see if it’s a lens issue?
    Have you tried another memory card? Perhaps there’s some weird corruption going on.