Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for 60D

edited October 2014 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Will the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens be any good for my 60D? I want to shoot flying birds, mostly for wild life photography. Does it have IS? If it doesn't, will it effect the images?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Sure, this type of tele is great for birds. There’s no IS but impact is minimal.
    If your subject is still and your shutter speed is at least the reciprocal of your effective focal length, IS doesn’t make a difference. That is, if you’re shooting at a stationary subject with your lens zoomed in to 300mm, then your effective focal length is 480mm (i.e. 300mm multiplied by crop factor of 1.6x). So as long as your shutter speed is at least 1/500, then not having IS makes no difference.

Where IS would help is when you’re panning. If you pan with your subject horizontally, then IS would help to get rid of any stray vertical movements. It’s not like it’s impossible to pan without IS. I guess what I’m trying to say is, don’t stress over IS too much. It’s good to have but you can do without it.

(If you intend to shoot handheld video, then that’s a different story. I personally think that IS is critical for video.)
  • In my opinion the 55-250mm STM is a much better lens for just a little more money. Check refurbished at Canon online store or used at B & H or Adorama if new is beyond your budget.