PNY or Komputer Bay memory card

UriUri
edited October 2014 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I want to buy a large SDXC card for my Rebel T3i because I'll mostly be taking video, and I won't be around a computer often to empty it. It needs to be within budget. I need a cheap option, but then again, I need my option to work. I was looking at the 128gb SDXC card by PNY on amazon because it was quite a bit cheaper than the other brands (Lexar, Transcend, Kingston, Sandisk). The card from Komputer Bay was even cheaper than that. The only thing is that I've never heard of those 2 companies before - PNY or Komputer Bay. Can you tell me if they are reliable companies, or if the 128gb SDXC cards in particular can be used for shooting high quality video without problem? They are both Class 10.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    PNY has been around for a while. So while they’re considered a budget brand, I’d say they’re pretty reputable. You can often find their products in many retail stores.

Never heard of Komputer Bay before. Search results for them doesn’t exactly inspire confidence, so I’d be wary.

It may be important to note that if you can find a SDHC card that’s a better value, you should consider it. The best video quality your camera can capture is 1080p at 30fps. A regular class 10 SDHC card can handle that just fine. It’s when people use cameras that capture 4k at 60fps that SDXC cards really become necessary. SDXC card prices are dropping like flies, so this may be a moot point.

Anyway, just one more thought from me. It may be worthwhile to get multiple cards (i.e., 2 x 64GB, 4 x 32GB, or 8 x 16GB) rather than a single large capacity card. If the card fails, you at least have a backup and you don’t lose all your data. That’s just the paranoid side of me talking even though I’ve never lost data from a failed memory card. The people who have the experience of a failed memory card always seem to be those who are least prepared for it.
  • UriUri
    edited October 2014
    Hey thanks so much man! So there is no difference for me between a SDXC and a SDHC card? They will both hold the same amount of space and work well equally for me? Also, just so I know, with the quality that my camera takes video (1080 at 30 fps), how many hours of video is that with, let's say, a 64gb card?
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Uri,
    I agree with all @ohyeahar says above as usual. However, for the second part of your question, here are some things to bear in mind. Regardless of the size of your card, movie shooting will stop when a file size reaches 4GB. This is a limitation of the file system. The total shooting time is 29minutes and 59seconds. If DSLRs exceed 30 minutes they can be called video cameras and move into a different taxation class (that is the only reason manufacturers limit the time to under 30mins).
    Also be aware that camera and/or battery temperature can also affect shooting times as the camera is programmed to shut down if temperatures rise too much. As @ohyeahar stated you are better off with a few 16GB cards rather than one big one. All this information should be in your camera manual. If you don't have one, it is worth downloading it in PDF format from Canon's website.
    Cheers and happy filming.
    PBked